January 4, 2011

Torment by Lauren Kate

Photobucket
Summary: Love Never Dies…

It took Lucinda an eternity to find her beloved angel, Daniel. But he waited for her. Now they are forced apart again, to protect Luce from the Outcasts - immortals who want her dead. During their separation, Luce learns about her mysterious past lives. But the more she discovers, the more she suspects that Daniel is hiding something.

What if Daniel’s version of the past isn’t true?
Is it really their destiny to be together?
Or is Luce actually meant to be with somebody else?

Review: I have to admit, I wasn’t a fan of
Fallen, the first book in this series. However, I was pleasantly surprised with Torment, and although I wasn’t totally thrilled with it, it was enough for me to want to continue reading the remaining books in the series.

One thing that stood out to me as better than the first book was the dialogue. Some of the dialogue in
Fallen was cringe-worthy, so it was nice to see that the author had worked harder to make it more believable. I felt like the dialogue was a lot more realistic to how people - particularly teenagers - actually speak, so it was a lot easier for me to read.

I also loved Steven and Francesca’s lessons and the effort that went into creating a believable back story for the angels and demons that was unique and thought-provoking. The quote that said ‘the winners get to write history’ made me think a lot our own world and what may or may not be true.

However, there were definitely aspects of the story that I disliked. I felt that Luce had done no growing up, despite what she has seen, and was as annoying as ever. She was too whiney for my liking and it was frustrating that she couldn’t just take Daniel’s - the man she supposedly loves - word that some things are safer for her not to know. I also disliked how Daniel continuously told her not to do anything dangerous, while simultaneously putting her in danger every night by coming to the campus. It seemed very unrealistic that he wouldn’t be able to hold off for sixteen days, if it meant saving the life of the one he loved.

Another issue I had was that the plot ‘twist’ was much, much too obvious. I understand that the author was trying to foreshadow, but it really only to serve as to reveal where the story was heading, even at its very first mention. It could have been surprising if the author hadn’t made it so painfully obvious, but as it was, I was continuously asking ‘okay, when are we getting to the action?’.

Although I didn’t love
Torment, it had enough to keep me interested in seeing how this series plays out. Judging by the ending, the next book could be an extremely interesting journey!


Rating: 3 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment